Have you ever heard of a professional truck driving competition? If you answered, “No” then you are not alone! However, truckers need to have their fun too and they should have a chance to show off their fine skills. After all, driving a truck is no easy task and there are plenty of us that cannot do it. Without commercial transporters, most of the products we use every day would be unavailable, so it should go without saying that every trucker deserves his chance in the spotlight.
Perhaps that is why the Illinois Trucking Association(ITA) is sponsoring the Illinois Professional Truck Driving Competition on June 14 and 15 at Pheasant Run Resort in St. Charles, Ill.
The championship is a family-friendly event that was actually designed to promote the safety of truck drivers and reward the safest commercial driver in Illinois. In fact, truckers may only participate if they have an accident-free record for 12 months prior to entry and the competition itself. For those that are interested in participating, all entry forms must be turned in at the ITA office on or before May 17, 2013. If you would like to fill out the entry form, just visit the ITA site and print out the forms for submission.
The actual competition takes place on Saturday, June 15 at 9:00 a.m. For those that just want to attend and take a look at the safest Illinois truck drivers in action, viewers are welcome. There is also an antique truck show that begins at 9:00 a.m. as well so you can peruse while the trucking competition goes on.
Trucks That Qualify
The following classes of competition are included and drivers must choose one:
– Straight Truck (Single 2-axle vehicle)
– 3-Axle Tractor-Semitrailer (2-axle tractor and 1-axle 28′ semitrailer)
– 4-Axle Tractor-Semitrailer (2-axle tractor and 2-axle 53′ semitrailer)
– 5-Axle Tractor-Semitrailer (3-axle tractor and 2-axle 53′ semitrailer)
– 5-Axle Sleeper Berth Tractor-Semitrailer (3-axle sleeper tractor and 2-axle 53′ semitrailer)
– Tank Truck (3-axle tractor and 2-axle tank semitrailer)
– Flatbed (3-axle tractor and 2 axle flatbed semitrailer)
– Twin Trailers (2-axle tractor and set of 28′ semitrailers)
– Step Van (step or Package Van)
If you think you are the best truck driver in Illinois, then move quick and enter into the championship to prove your skill! The winner goes on to compete in the American Trucking Associations’ National Truck Driving Championship. So get moving and enter to show all of Illinois that you are the safest truck driver on the streets.
Have you ever participated in or watched a professional trucking competition? Tell us about it in the comments section below!
IMAGE: Courtesy of Flickr by MoDOT Photos