When looking to ship your car overseas, the chore of learning the do’s and don’ts can be overwhelming. However, with the basics down pat, moving from sea to shining sea can be a bit less challenging.
Shipping a car to a U.S. port
- Vehicles must be operable, free of leaking fluids and thoroughly washed and cleaned to allow for an accurate inspection at the origin port.
- Cleaning should include: Empty all compartments (trunk, glove compartment, center console, door pockets, etc.); Vacuum interior (including seats) and all compartments.
- Wash exterior thoroughly, paying special attention to engine compartment, tires, fender wells and undercarriage of vehicle. Steam cleaning or pressure washing is preferable.
- Inspect entire vehicle to ensure it is free of any dirt, mud, seeds, or other unauthorized material.
Learn more about our door to door car shipping services
We recommend that vehicles are serviced prior to shipping to ensure mechanical and safety problems are corrected. Check batteries and fuel. This is especially important if you plan to pick up your vehicle.
Many ports want you to be able to drive your vehicle off of the premises, on the other side of delivery.
- Alarm system should be disengaged prior to shipment. Most ports aren’t liable for mechanical or electronic failures as a result of non-compliance.
- All personal items must be removed from the vehicle prior to shipping. Items that are permanently installed, mounted to the vehicle, or are an integral part of the vehicle is acceptable. (Examples: spare tire and jack, infant car seat, spoilers, factory install roof racks). Items that are removable and not mounted or bolted to the vehicle cannot be shipped with the vehicle.
- Motorcycles must be secured to the ship or a skid. Many ports may offer a skid for you to use. Contact that port directly. Crated motorcycles may be prohibited at many ports. You should check this out with your port of choice as well.
- There’s always the option of shipping your vehicle to the port. In this case, you will want to use a dependable vehicle transportation company for your ro-ro (roll on – roll off) services. Montway Auto Transport can assist you with that.
Requirements for Delivery of Your Vehicle
So you’ve met the requirements for shipment of your vehicle. Now you must pick up your POV. What you will need is:
- A copy of your Vehicle Registration
- A photo I.D. / Driver’s License
- A copy of the Booking Confirmation Form or Booking Number.
- All keys to the vehicle (ignition, trunk, glove compartment, gas tank and any locked compartments in your vehicle.)
- Inspections are done on site.
- If you are not the person who will be picking the vehicle up, you will need a notarized letter giving the person who is picking up your vehicle authority to do so.
Now you know that you know the basics you can keep cool and keep it moving.
Bon Voyage and let us know if you have any questions.
Don’t hesitate to get your FREE CAR SHIPPING QUOTE