Moving can be a stressful and overwhelming experience, but it can be made a little easier by knowing what to expect before you begin. In this blog, we’ll answer whether or not you should tip your mover, along with some other frequently asked questions to help you prepare for your move.
Do you tip moving companies?
Whether you decide to tip your movers or not is up to you, and it’s not a mandatory part of the moving process. However, many people do choose to tip their movers as a way of showing their appreciation for a job well done.
If you do decide to tip your movers, it’s important to keep a few things in mind. Tipping is usually done as a lump sum at the end of the move and the amount you give should reflect the quality of service you received. The standard amount is approximately 20% of the total bill. If your move was particularly challenging or your movers went above and beyond, you may consider tipping more.
It’s important to remember that your moving company may have policies in place that prohibit their movers from accepting tips. If this is the case, you can show your appreciation in other ways, such as providing food or beverages during the move or leaving a positive review online.
Overall, tipping your movers is a personal choice that should be based on the quality of service you received.
Other moving-related FAQs
What should I do to prepare for my move?
You should start preparing for your move as early as possible. This can include booking your moving company or arranging transport for your vehicle(s), packing your belongings and arranging for utility disconnections and reconnections.
Make a checklist to keep yourself organized and on track:
- Sort through your belongings and get rid of anything you don’t want to bring along.
- Gather all the necessary packing materials, such as boxes, tape, markers and bubble wrap.
- Contact a mover or rental truck company to schedule the transportation of your possessions.
- Arrange transport for your car, ATV, powersport or other vehicles.
- Make arrangements for pets or children who will be accompanying you during the move.
- Ensure all utilities are transferred over to the new address before moving day.
- Make sure all important documents (birth certificates, passports, etc.) are easily accessible during the move.
How should I pack my belongings for the move?
Packing your belongings properly is crucial to ensure that they arrive at your new home in the same condition as when they left. Use high-quality packing materials like sturdy boxes and secure everything with bubble wrap and packing tape. To make unpacking easier, label each box with the contents and the room it belongs in at your new home.
Here are some steps you can take to pack your things for a move:
- Start packing non-essential items first, like seasonal clothing and decorations.
- Create an inventory system to keep track of what items are in each box.
- Label boxes on all sides with a description and the room where it should be unpacked in your new home.
- Use bubble wrap and extra packing materials for fragile or valuable items.
- Place heavier items at the bottom of each box and lighter items on top.
- Pack your clothes in wardrobe boxes or vacuum-seal bags to save space and prevent wrinkles.
Do I need to purchase insurance for my move?
While your moving company may offer insurance, it’s always a good idea to check your homeowners or renter’s insurance policy to see if it covers your belongings during the move. If not, purchasing insurance from your moving company or a third-party provider is recommended.
Moving doesn’t have to be a hassle. With the right preparation and an understanding of everything that’s involved with the process, you can minimize the stress and effort required to move into your new home.
Hassle-free vehicle shipping for your move:
Want to check “moving my cars, ATV or powersports” off your list? Montway can help. We deliver a 5-star experience to every customer and have earned more than 80,000 customer reviews with a 4.7 average rating. Montway is committed to ensuring your car shipping experience goes smoothly.