- Understanding the auto shipping process
- How much does it cost to ship a car from New York to California
- How long does it take to ship a car from New York to California?
- How to prepare your vehicle for shipping from New York to California
- What to expect on delivery
- Why choose Montway for your auto transport needs
- Frequently asked questions
Are you planning a big move from the hustle and bustle of New York to the golden coastlines of California? That’s a pretty exciting adventure, but we know it also involves a lot of logistics. One of those might be how to get your car across approximately 3,000 miles. Driving yourself could be an option, but it’s a long, costly and potentially risky journey considering fuel expenses and the wear and tear on your precious vehicle. Plus, who needs the added stress of possible breakdowns or safety issues on such a long trip?
If you’re retiring under the sunny skies, are adding to your classic car collection, or need to move a car for other reasons, Montway Auto Transport is here to help. With over 15 years of experience under our belt, we’re pros when it comes to arranging car shipping from New York to California. To get a personalized quote for your New York to California car shipping needs, use our instant quote calculator.
Understanding the auto shipping process
When you choose Montway for your car shipping, the experience is as easy as 1-2-3!
Kick off the process by obtaining a quote tailored to your vehicle model, earliest shipping date and locations. Once your car shipping order is booked, a skilled trucker will be assigned and you’ll receive an estimated pickup date and time. Rest assured your car will be safely secured onto a trailer and transported to its intended destination, potentially right to your doorstep.
Our mission is to provide unparalleled 5-star service to every customer. Should you have any questions about transporting a car from New York to California, don’t hesitate to reach out! Montway is committed to ensuring a smooth and stress-free experience.
How much does it cost to ship a car from New York to California
Factors that influence the cost of shipping a car from New York to California
Navigating the cost of shipping your car from New York to California can seem tricky, but don’t worry, we’re experts! There are several variables at play, but the main one is distance. To put it in perspective, New York City and Los Angeles are roughly 2,780 miles apart, so shipping a car over that stretch would come to around $1,309.
But there’s more to consider. The specifics of your pickup and delivery locations, your preferred shipping dates, the type of vehicle you’re shipping, the time of year and the type of trailer used can all impact the final price. Let’s explore these factors to give you a clearer understanding:
- Total travel distance. Since this is the main component in calculating a car shipping quote, it makes sense that the further distance the higher the overall price, although the rate per mile will be lower.
- Vehicle type and condition. Knowing the exact specifications of your car is important. Larger, modified or inoperable (non-running) vehicles may require transport adjustments that could affect the cost.
- Transport type. Open transport is the most common type of car shipping method and is generally less expensive than enclosed transport. Keep in mind that luxury or exotic vehicles or cars with low clearance usually require a lower lift gate, only available with enclosed transport.
- Time of year. Car shipping, like many other industries, has periods of high and low demand. The seasonality of demand impacts car shipping prices.
Customers of Montway frequently express their appreciation for the convenience, security and peace of mind they experience when utilizing our expert auto shipping services.
The average cost of shipping a car from New York to California
|Shipping from||Shipping to||Price estimate|
|Albany, NY||San Francisco, CA||$1,399|
|Buffalo, NY||Sacramento, CA||$1,379|
|New York City, NY||Los Angeles, CA||$1,309|
|Manhattan, NY||Riverside, CA||$1,299|
|Syracuse, NY||Chula Vista, CA||$1,369|
How long does it take to ship a car from New York to California?
Transporting a car from New York to California involves quite a few components. The distance between the states is the main factor that determines how long the journey will take. To give you an idea, a 2,800-mile trip usually takes around 7 to 9 days. Of course, like any adventure, there can be unexpected hiccups along the way. Things like harsh weather, heavy traffic or road closures might necessitate a change in route and cause a slight delay. But don’t worry—with Montway, you’re always in the loop. We provide an estimated delivery date at the start and you’re welcome to check in with us anytime for updates on your vehicle’s status.
The average transit time to ship a car from New York to California
|Shipping from||Shipping to||Average distance||Time estimate|
|Albany, NY||San Francisco, CA||2,936 miles||7-9 days|
|Buffalo, NY||Sacramento, CA||2,562 miles||7-9 days|
|New York City, NY||Los Angeles, CA||2,780 miles||7-9 days|
|Manhattan, NY||Riverside, CA||2,797 miles||7-9 days|
|Syracuse, NY||Chula Vista, CA||2,690 miles||7-9 days|
How to prepare your vehicle for shipping from New York to California
As soon as your pickup date is locked in, the countdown begins to prep your vehicle for its journey from New York to California. Montway has put together some handy tips to get you started.
- Have keys ready. You are expected to provide a set of keys to the trucker at vehicle pickup.
- Wash your vehicle. It’s suggested you wash your vehicle prior to pickup. This makes it easier for you and the trucker to inspect your car for any scratches, dents, etc. You’ll sign the Bill of Lading (BOL) with this inspection at pickup and delivery.
- Fuel levels. Make sure your gas tank is about 1/4 full. A full tank adds weight to your vehicle and the car carrier. Electric vehicles should have at least a 50% charged battery and charging cables.
- Exterior. Retract or remove your antenna and place it in your trunk. Remove your bike rack and any aftermarket accessories.
- Remove valuables and personal items. Remove vehicle add-ons such as custom stereos and GPS systems.
- Parking passes/toll tags. Remove all passes or tags to avoid fees as your car passes through tolls. You’ll be responsible for resolving any fees incurred during transport.
What to expect on delivery
The highlight of shipping your car from New York is the joy of welcoming it to California! Your dedicated trucker will give you a heads-up call as they approach your delivery spot. Once they arrive, you’ll have a chance to inspect your vehicle before signing off on the Bill of Lading (BOL), which serves as your receipt.
If anything is unclear or if you have any questions, don’t hesitate to get in touch with a friendly Montway customer service agent. With well over 80,000 online reviews, you can count on us for top-notch service every step of the way.
“I shipped my car from New York to California. First time I’ve ever used a transportation company. I drove cross country twice and didn’t want to do it again. Montway made it so easy! My car was at my apt before I even arrived in LA. The driver was really great! He was fast, efficient and super nice. Will definitely use Montway again when we move back to the East Coast!” ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ Maria Baglio, 7/23/23
Why choose Montway for your auto transport needs
If you need to get a vehicle from New York to California, make it as easy as possible by using Montway Auto Transport. Hiring a professional auto shipping service like Montway offers numerous benefits over driving the vehicle yourself.
When Montway manages your car shipping, you won’t have to drive such a long distance or worry about driver’s fatigue, potential breakdowns and wear and tear on your vehicle. Plus, when you factor in the expenses of a long road trip, such as fuel, food, lodging and potential vehicle maintenance, using Montway may be a more cost-effective option—it’s definitely more convenient!
Montway’s services include insurance coverage during transit, offering peace of mind that your vehicle is protected against unforeseen circumstances. Using Montway gives you the freedom to focus on your work, family, move or travel plans, making the transition a safe and positive experience.
At Montway, we pride ourselves on our 5-star customer service, as well as our experienced team who are always ready to help. Here’s why we should be your first choice for shipping your car from New York to California:
- Licensed and insured. Montway is a fully licensed and insured auto transport company and has earned an A+ rating from the Better Business Bureau (BBB).
- Professional delivery. Our efficient logistics experts and nationwide network of carriers ensure timely pickup and delivery of your vehicle.
- 5-star customer service. Montway’s dedicated customer service team is ready to assist you during every step of your auto shipping process.
- Affordable rates. We offer some of the most competitive prices in the industry without compromising on service quality.
Start your New York to California car shipping journey with an instant quote. With Montway, you can expect reliable car shipping backed by great service.
Frequently asked questions
How do I ship a car from one state to another in the U.S.?
Shipping a car anywhere in the U.S. is just like shipping a car from New York to California. The process starts with choosing a reputable auto transport company, getting a quote and booking your order. Then once your pickup date is set, you’ll prepare your car for shipping.
What is the cheapest company to ship your car?
While cost is an important factor, it’s also crucial to consider the company’s reliability, service quality and customer reviews. Montway offers competitive rates with a priority on safety and service. A simple way to save money is by opting for open auto transport rather than enclosed. You can also save money by keeping your pickup date flexible and avoiding seasonal demand.
Who is the most reliable car transport company?
There are many auto transport providers in the market, but only Montway has nearly two decades of experience, a reliable nationwide carrier network and a proven commitment to delivering 5-star service. We want our customers to have a hassle-free car shipping experience.
How much does it cost to ship a car to another state?
The cost of shipping a car to another state depends on several factors, including the distance, the type and condition of your vehicle, the transport trailer and the season. Do you need to calculate the costs of moving your vehicle from New York to California or another state? Click here to get an instant quote on your auto shipment.
How long does it take to ship a car from New York to California?
The transit time can vary based on the distance, the specific route and other factors. On average, it can take between 7 and 9 days to ship a car from New York to California.